The historic Leibold-Grothues 700-acres ranch is host to LAKE MEDINA RV RESORT. The resort evolved from the first fishing camp on Medina Lake after the dam was built in 1912. Anton Leibold operated this camp which rented boats and cabins. Later his son Milton ran the business along with ranching and farming.
Generations of families have been coming here to enjoy the beautiful scenery, fishing and boating. The historic cabins built in the 1920’s are still in use by long term Leibold fishing camp families.
This ranch was purchased in 1882 by John Leibold and has remained in the family with the 6th generation living here now. There were Indian raids still occurring on the land when John Leibold, Anton’s father, arrived with his family from the Castroville area. The family built their home on the Medina River. When the dam was completed, Anton moved his family from what is now lake bed to higher ground and opened Leibold’s Fishing Camp. Anton and Milton built their own boats and cabins for renting and gave boat tours of the new lake. Milton and his wife, Alice, ran the fishing camp and ranched there until 1999. In 2002, the Texas Family Land Heritage Program awarded the ranch the TEXAS CENTURY RANCH AWARD. This award goes to working ranches in continual agricultural production by a single family for one hundred years or more.
After Milton passed away, his daughter, Marlene and son in law Phil Grothues, along with their son Greg and wife Gina, built a first class RV Resort along the lakefront with a clubhouse, pool, laundry and 6 fully furnished cabins. Greg and Gina manage the business and live on the ranch with their two children, Kristen and Cole, the sixth generation. Greg continues to run the ranch.
We appreciate our loyal guests and extended family who continue to enable our family business to thrive. We have hosted visitors from all over the United States, Canada, Mexico and parts of Europe.
We welcome you to join us in our little part of the Texas Hill Country.